It’s all smiles and pleasantries when you walk through the shop door, but behind closed doors, there are just some things retail and hospitality workers would never say to your face.
HOWEVER, we’d like to divulge those secrets today and if you’re the one working this Christmas, we feel you.
Here are 12 things we all think while working in retail and hospitality whether it be during the hectic Christmas season or just in general.
We experience everything from groups of school kids coming in with their schoolbags planning to buy nothing but ruin all the displays, crying babies which parents dump on us because they think we’re a childcare service, or people who come in at 8.58pm (when one door is already closed and the music is clearly off and we are vacuuming) when everyone knows the store closes at 9pm looking for that last minute gift they need for the party they are attending tonight!
But hey it all makes for great stories and conversation starters, right?
- Omg yes staff discount, this means I can bulk buy chirssy presents for half the price! (the only decent thing about working in retail during Xmas)
- Really, a 12-3 shift? I could be at the beach getting my tan on
- I guess I’ll be saving money rather than spending it since I’ll be working Boxing Day
- Honestly didn’t you buy enough Christmas presents a few days ago and you’re already back on Boxing Day to buy more!?
- If one more person says ‘this doesn’t have a price tag on it, is it free’ i’ll actually scream
- Who thought opening at 9am on New Year’s Day was a good idea? Isn’t everyone extremely hungover?
- ‘This is so overpriced’ – well I don’t decide on the prices, I’m just an innocent bystander
- If I have to clean that stand one more time…
- PUBLIC HOLIDAY RATES WOOOO
- “Is everything on sale?” – it clearly says selected items only and they have SALE written all over them
- “My coffee is cold can I please have a fresh one?” – well you did leave it on the bench for 20 minutes while you played Candy Crush on your phone
- I can’t decide if retail has made me a really good liar or a really good actor
Happy Holidays Everyone and think about the money when you’re struggling through your 12-4 New Years Day shift!
By Adriana Vanni